Saturday, November 12, 2011

Trash to Treasure: How To Use Old CD's

Since the invention of itunes, I have noticed that I have old CD's laying around EVERYWHERE that I will never do anything with ever again.  One day, as I was browsing through www.Pinterest.com (my new favorite website, by the way) I saw a brilliant idea on how I could reuse those worn CD's and turn them into something I could use again!  So, in my first edition of Trash To Treasure, I'll show you how to reuse those old CD's to make a super cute wall hanging.  

The one I made (pictured below) is a sign I am using as part of my friend's "cowboy themed" baby shower.   (Um, I hope she's okay with me telling the world her son's name! Haha!) 


In order to make this wall hanging featuring the baby's name, I had to use 5 CD's.   I started by cutting 5 circles out with scrap-booking paper.  Simply trace and cut!  

Next, glue the paper onto each CD.  

For the letters, I used my Cricut's Stone Script template, but you can use any pre-cut lettering you find, or if you're super experienced with the scissors you can cut your own letters out!  

Once the paper and letters are glued onto each CD, hot glue ribbon (smaller in width) around the edge of each CD.  

Using ribbon (at least 1" in width)...

glue your letters (in the appropriate order, of course!) onto the ribbon.  I had extra ribbon leftover, so I glued small bows in-between each letter to give the sign a more "finished" look.  


There you have it!  A perfect addition for any wall that needs a personal touch, AND a great way to recycle used CD's!  Since I have many CD's still to use, I was thinking about making a few signs for my own home. The great thing about this project is that it's so versatile, the possibilities are endless!  I can't wait to start on my "Christmas" sign, and Hey!  That's 9 CD's I'll be able to recycle!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment